Renny's Game Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sherlock

4 posters

Go down

Sherlock Empty Sherlock

Post by Mykilus 26th July 2010, 08:46

I liked this..
i liked this alot.

Myke
Mykilus
Mykilus
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Empty Re: Sherlock

Post by Renny 26th July 2010, 21:08

Yeah, I agree. Good job on this. Look forward to the next episode.
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name: Renny

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Empty Sherlock

Post by Digger 27th July 2010, 02:04

I'm sorry guy's but I have to disagree!

I found it trite nonsense; I couldn't relate to any of the characters and found the scripting very poor.

I believe the character of Sherlock Holmes (SH) should be kept in the timespan it was created, and yes while some of the later portrayals do work (i.e. Basil Rathbone's SH during the second world war) it only works when it has good scripts and good actors playing the roles; I'm afraid in my opinion, this had neither.

I was disappointed and it will take me a lot to give it a second outing next week!

Digger
Digger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by rogartheranger 27th July 2010, 06:26

I really enjoyed this latest reinterpretation of Sherlock Holmes. In particular I thought that Benedict Cumberbatch was superb as Holmes (the best portrayal I can recall seeing since Jeremy Brett), and Martin Freeman was a great foyle as John Watson. I was particularly impressed with the script which cleverly mirrored the plot of Conan Doyle's 'A Study in Scarlet', whilst also successfully updating the concept to the 21st Century with witty amendments like Holmes's addiction to drugs/pipes being changed to nicotine patches, ("This is 3 patch problem"), and the use of onscreen text-messages to convey Holmes's thought processes. The reveal of Mycroft was also a nice red-herring too. On the strength of this first episode I think that this is a series that will have the potential to run for a very long time, and I am looking forward to tuning in for every installment!!!
rogartheranger
rogartheranger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 27th July 2010, 18:55

@Digger

I have to disagree. The show managed to update Sherlock Holmes to the modern age with surprisingly few changes to the story (I speak with some authority as I just reread A Study In Scarlet a few weeks back). They kept the motivation of both main characters pretty much intact. I thought Martin Freeman did well in a role far removed from his usual parts and made Watson sympathetic and believeable. I thought Holmes was interesting and captivating to watch. Of course he's brash and annoying but this is exactly as written by Conan Doyle. I very much liked the mechanism by which they revealed his deductive process to the viewer and the subtle updating of technology in the story. The only real negative to me was mark Gatiss in the role of Mycroft, and this is only because I generally have a hard time taking him seriously, regardless of how much I like his writing and love for the material. Overall, a strong 9/10 for me and I genuinely look forward to next Sunday.
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Empty Sherlock

Post by Digger 27th July 2010, 19:07

@ Steve.

Okay, I will give it another go this weekend, I will even try again on the iPlayer; perhaps it is worthy of a second chance!

Watch this space for more comment in the future.

D.
Digger
Digger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 28th July 2010, 00:42

D

Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one. Mine is no more valid than yours. Hopefully you enjoy it more second time around.

Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down