Scene 1: Unwelcome Reception

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Scene 1: Unwelcome Reception

Post by Renny on 5th January 2017, 10:47

(OOC: OK, as both rolls are under your target number, you score two successes!As you didn't roll more successes than you needed, you don't generate any momentum)

Malik fights to steady the shuttle but his skills come into play and the stricken craft levels slightly as it plunges planetward. He regains a semblance of control long enough to bring the shuttle into a controlled crash. But hey, any landing you can walk away from, right?

Martinez, your systems check reveals that the shuttle is damaged and will need repair and parts before it can fly again.

Zhareth, your attempt to raise the station has been met only with static.

Currently GM-ing: Star Trek Adventures Playtest
Currently Reading: Nigel Kneale - Quatermass

http://rennyscorner.webs.com/
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name: Renny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 5th January 2017, 10:48

As you exit the damaged shuttle to reconnoiter the surroundings, a group of strange Neanderthal humanoids assaulted you. And that’s where you stand now, defending yourselves from the hurled stones and wielded clubs of these creatures.

All your attackers wear the tattered remnants of Federation-issued uniforms that a science team might wear, and it appears one of the creatures wields a phaser, although it doesn’t appear to know how to fire it accurately… yet.

(OOC:) There are four of the creatures attacking you. Three of them carry stones and clubs while the fourth is carrying what looks like a Type 1 Phaser, albeit in such a way that suggests he is unsure of it's function.

Range in combat is defined by zones rather than precise measurement. There are three zones relevant to this encounter. Inside the shuttle, near the shuttle and the woods a short distance from the shuttle.

The shuttle is damaged and as such can only be used as cover. Taking cover behind part of the shuttle provides Heavy Cover which grants 4 (CD) of Cover Soak. You cannot simply hide in the shuttle and close the hatch as this is damaged. Characters who use the woods nearby have Light Cover which provides 2 (CD) of Cover Soak.

In Star Trek Adventures, combat flows from one side to the other. The GM decides who acts first, NPCs or the Players and then one character from each side act alternately until everyone has taken a turn. If you generate Momentum on your turn, you can spend that to pass Initiative to someone lese on your side rather than have it go to the next NPC.

Last edited by Renny on 6th January 2017, 03:12; edited 1 time in total

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe on 5th January 2017, 19:08

(OOC i assume we left the shuttle with phasers)

Set phaser to stun, fire (OOC at the figure with the phaser).

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 6th January 2017, 03:33

(OOC: According to the blurb in the scenario, you are all assumed to have left the shuttle when you are surprised by the neanderthals. You all have phasers as per your character sheet. Kevin, you have a Type 1 phaser in your hand. The neanderthals will take the first action as they have surprised you. I am stating that initial combat is at Close Range which means the neanderthals are in the same zone as you.)  

The first of the neanderthals throws a rock at you, seemingly enraged by the sight of you.

(OOC: The neanderthal is making a Ranged attack at Kevin i.e. Martinez. The attack is intended to kill as the neanderthals are unable to restrain themselves. He makes a Control + Security Task with a Difficulty of 2. The target is 7 (Control 6 + Security 1). He rolls 2 D20 , getting 15 and a 19. Neither of these succeed so the rock goes wide, clanging off the hull of the shuttle).

The rock flies past Martinez and dings off the shuttle hull, it's clatter reverberating around the area.

Martinez levels his Phaser and fires

(OOC: Kevin, this is a Control + Security Task with a difficulty of 2. Roll your dice please. Your target is 9, no Talents or Focuses apply.)

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe on 6th January 2017, 04:53

(OCC 15 and 17. Ill spend momentum to either re roll or remove chips from your die pool)

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 6th January 2017, 09:54

(OOC: OK, you haven't generated Momentum yet but you do have some options. During a Turn in combat, a character can attempt one Task (such as your attack, and several Minor Actions. A character can perform one Minor Action for free, and then each additional Minor Action costs one Momentum or adds one to Threat, plus one more for each subsequent Minor Action performed that Turn. Each Minor Action can only be attempted once per Turn. One of the Minor Actions is Aim which allows you to re-roll one of your dice. I'll assume you've used that Minor Action as it makes sense. Also, you can spend a Determination point to add bonus dice. A single Determination point adds one bonus d20 to a Task; however, this bonus d20 is unlike most, in that is comes pre-rolled. Bonus d20s bought using Determination points are automatically assumed to have rolled a ‘1’ – simply grab a d20 and turn it so the ‘1’ face is at the top. This means you automatically achieve two successes as the dice is assumed to roll a 1. Re-roll one of your other dice and we'll see if you can achieve another success and generate some Momentum.)

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 6th January 2017, 09:55

(OOC: Once you've re-rolled the dice, i'll report on the result of your actions. Right the rest of you, what do you want to do?)

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe on 6th January 2017, 10:22

(OCC rolled a 3)

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mykilus on 6th January 2017, 10:53

Gathering my wits, i release the seat belts.. checking if the coms station still has power i reconfigure it to transmit a distress signal with our location and set it on automatic...
i then collect the shuttle`s survival kit, food and water rations...(not hungry... But first order of business....survival)
i also collect a phaser, checking that it has a full charge i set it to heavy stun and head out and join my crewmates..
Mykilus
VETERAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 6th January 2017, 20:15

(OOC: Martinez re-roll generates another success and you succeed creating a point of Momentum as you now have three successes, one over the required two. I'll respond fully this evening with the results of your attack so watch this space!)

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 6th January 2017, 21:40

(OOC: Type 1 Phaser: ranged, 3 [CD], Size 2, Charge 3

OK, so the stats for a Phaser 1 are as follows;

Type 1 Phaser: ranged, 3 [CD], Size 2, Charge 3

You've made a successful attack so you roll the indicated number of CD or Challenge Dice which are represented by D6. To speed things up, i'm rolling these for you.

I rolled a 4, a 5 and a 6.

Threes and fours are ignored when rolling CD. Ones and twos are counted as normal i.e. a 1 indicates 1 point of damage and a 2 indicates 2 points of damage. 5's and 6's, as here, are referred to as Efects. Effects have a damage value of 1, so you generate 2 points of damage and 2 effects.
We'll come to the effects later. As you have Momentum in hand, you can spend that to help you in combat. In this situation, you can spend a point of Momentum to re-roll any number of your [CD] if you're not happy with the results. You can also spend a point to increse damage, with each point of Momentum spent giving a +1 to damage. Characters have Soak which will reduce the damage they suffer. The neanderthals have no Soak so any damage you inflict is taken directly. They have a Stress track of 9 so currently you have inflicted 2 points of damage taking them down to 7. We'll figure out what your two effects have done to increase this in a bit. For now, do you want to spend your point of momentum on extra damage? If not, that point can go into the group momentum pool for you or someone else to spend later.)

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe on 7th January 2017, 05:03

(OCC Group momentum)

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 7th January 2017, 09:53

(OOC: Noted. I missed something BTW. When firing a phaser, because it has the Charge quality, you can declare that you want to spend Charge on effects such as +1[CD] damage (1 Charge), Area (2 Charges), Intense (2 Charges), Piercing X (1 Charge), Vicious X (2 Charges). Multiple Charges may be spent on a single attack, and must be spent before the dice are rolled for the Attack. We'll deal with this next time. The quality you want to use only works if you roll an effect when you roll your dice. If you don't roll an effect, the Charge is still spent but you only do base damage)

Martinez shoots the nearest neanderthal with his phaser. The beam hits but the hulking figure keeps coming.

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe on 7th January 2017, 21:40

(OCC After everyone else has acted i will shoot again)
Martinez "Down boy"

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mykilus on 8th January 2017, 04:22

emerging from the shuttle i size up the situation...
holstering my phaser and useing Starfleet marial arts i get into hand to hand combat with the nearest neanderthal
Mykilus
VETERAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 8th January 2017, 10:52

Initiative jumps back to the neanderthals. The second of the neanderthals, taking the lead from her compatriot, hefts a rock at the group.

(OOC: This is a Ranged attack. She makes a Control + Security Task with a Difficulty of 2. The target is 7 (Control 6 + Security 1). She rolls 2D20 and scores a 14 and a 20, another miss. This rock also goes wide. Initiative goes back to the Starfleet team so Mike goes next)

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 8th January 2017, 11:11

Zharath rushes to attack the nearest neanderthal.

(OOC: Zharath uses his minor action to move into Reach. For a melee Attack, the attacker attempts a Bravery + Security Task with a Difficulty of 1, opposed by the target’s Bravery + Security (also Difficulty 1). Zharath has a target of 15, his opponent has a target of 10.
Mike, because your action is in line with your characters Values, specifically Rash and reckless, if you spend a point of Determination to buy an additional D20 to roll, you will gain a bonus point of Momentum. Let me know if you want to do this and then roll 2D20 and give me your rolls for your attack.)

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mykilus on 8th January 2017, 20:57

(OOC Zharath is going for an all out attack, so i will spend the determination point,)

Zharath charges his opponent hoping to catch him off guard and administer a Kirk Chop on him.

( rolls.. 10, 19, 9, (if i understood that right) )
Mykilus
VETERAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 9th January 2017, 10:28

(OOC: Not quite. If you spend Determination to buy an extra D20, then that D20 is automatically assumed to roll a 1, giving you two successes. I'll assume that the 10 and the 9 you rolled are the ones we keep so you have scored 4 successes. When it's hand to hand combat, as mentioned above, this is an opposed test. The neanderthal rolls a 10 and a 3, so scores two successes. When making an opposed test, it's the character who generates the most Momentum who wins. You generated 3 momentum from your rolls (3 successes more than you needed and you gain an extra momentum because you tied into one of your values. This means you generate a total of four momentum. Your target scored one more success than needed so generated one point of momentum. You win. You have the option of spending momentum or adding it to the group pool. I would recommend spending some at this point to do extra damage against this guy. You can cause an additional 1 point of damage for each point of momentum you spend. Let me know what you want to do and then roll your challenge dice to see how much damage you do before any additions. You roll 4 D6 or 4 [CD] as it's written for your unarmed strike. Roll 4 D6 and tell me the individual results you get. Don't forget to tell me if you want to spend momentum to add damage to this as well.)

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Rogue on 10th January 2017, 10:47

gathers myself from the crash landing feeling a little dazed seeing the others outside grabs a phaser and moves into cover to fire

Marcus Rogue
EXTRA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 10th January 2017, 18:34

(OOC: OK, that's a good move. As mentioned earlier, you can use the hull of the shuttle for cover, granting you 4 (CD) of cover soak. We'll deal with your action once I've dealt with Mike's ongoing attack. Keep it up, the description above is just what I need Very Happy )

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mykilus on 11th January 2017, 10:42

Ok, so i want to use 4 momentum to add 4 pts to my damage, really want this guy to go down this turn,, my rolls

1,1,3,3....oops..
Mykilus
VETERAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 11th January 2017, 19:28

Mykilus wrote:Ok, so i want to use 4 momentum to add 4 pts to my damage, really want this guy to go down this turn,, my rolls

1,1,3,3....oops..

(OOC: Nope, that's good. Rolls of 1 or 2 on Challenge Dice count for face value as damage so your two 1's generate 2 points of damage. The two 3's are ignored but as you've spent 4 points of momentum, your total damage inflicted is 6. This creates an injury (anything over 5 in one attack does so).)

Zharath deftly steps into contact with his opponent and strikes, landing a precise blow which knocks the neanderthal flat on his back, unconscious before he hits the ground

(OOC: As the GM, I have the option to spend Threat against you to soak damage and so on but I want this encounter to proceed so i've decided to hold back for now)

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 11th January 2017, 19:38

(OOC: Initiative passes back to the neanderthals.)

The third of the neanderthals sees Malik emerge from the shuttle and take cover. The brute throws a rock at him.

(OOC: This is a Ranged attack. He makes a Control + Security Task with a Difficulty of 2. The target is 7 (Control 6 + Security 1). He rolls 2D20 and scores a 10 and a 10, missing again. If the rock had hit, Mark, you would roll dice for the cover, i this case 4 dice, and you would remove the total from any damage you suffered. As it stands, he missed so there's no problem.)

The rock again misses by yards. It's almost as if the neanderthals are confused and disoriented. Malik aims his phaser and returns fire.

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 11th January 2017, 19:43

(OOC: Mark, i'll post this evening in more detail about your options re using your phaser. Please bear with me as I need to read up on some detail.)

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content