Renny's Game Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Detective

2 posters

Go down

True Detective Empty True Detective

Post by kevinrolfe 22nd January 2014, 01:55

this is coming, it might be interesting. episode 2 refenceses the King in
Yellow

here is a reference

Along the shore the cloud waves break,

The twin suns sink behind the lake,

The shadows lengthen

In Carcosa

Strange is the night where black stars rise, And strange moons circle through the skies, But stranger still is Lost Carcosa

–Cassilda’s Song in “The King in Yellow” Act 1, Scene 2. from Robert W. Chambers’s anthology “The King in Yellow” (1895).

Being the official WSJ Speakeasy re-capper for “True Detective” means I get to watch the first four episodes early on DVD. A benefit of DVD is the Pause button. So, this week, as Det. Rust Cohle rifled through the diary of murder victim Dora Lange, I hit Pause. On its pages Dora had scribbled a portion of the stanzas above, along with the name “The Yellow King.”

“The King in Yellow” is a horror anthology written by Robert W. Chambers and published in 1895. The supernatural stories, and the characters within, are linked by a mysterious play, “The King in Yellow.” Chambers only hints at the content of the play but when a character reads it he or she is driven insane with visions of a King in Yellow.

Permeating each of Chambers’ stories is the sublime dread of un-seeable and un-knowable terror. By reading “The King in Yellow,” a person glimpses some unspeakable truth behind existence, one that the human mind can’t process. It is no surprise, then, that “The King in Yellow” influenced horror writer H.P. Lovecraft whose “cosmic horror” mythology explores similar themes of humanity adrift in an ancient, disinterested and incomprehensible gulf.

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

True Detective Empty Re: True Detective

Post by Renny 23rd January 2014, 07:01

Unfortunately it's showing on Sky Atlantic which means I can't watch it unless I download it. I've heard good things about it, though.
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name: Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe 26th January 2014, 02:39

i could drop episodes in to my dropbox account?

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 26th January 2014, 20:31

Erm, ok if you don't mind. Have you had a look at Dracula yet?
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name: Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe 27th January 2014, 01:00

watched the first episode, waiting to find time to watch a second. will let you know when i have uploaded it

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum