Renny's Game Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Torchwood: Children of Earth

4 posters

Go down

Torchwood: Children of Earth Empty Torchwood: Children of Earth

Post by rogartheranger 6th February 2009, 11:08

As you may be aware there is a forthcoming Torchwood mini-series called "The Children of Earth", which is due to be screened on BBC1 over 5-consecutive nights later this year.

This evening, the BBC website has posted its first sneak-preview trailer for the new series which you can view on the weblink below:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/

Enjoy!
rogartheranger
rogartheranger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Torchwood: Children of Earth Empty Re: Torchwood: Children of Earth

Post by Renny 6th February 2009, 19:14

Chris

Looking good. Thanks for sharing the link.
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name: Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by rogartheranger 19th June 2009, 06:02

The BBC Press Office has released a statement today to confirm that The Children of Earth will be broadcast during the week 4th July-10th July. The exact times and days have not been released yet but should follow soon.

The BBC Press Statement also gives us the following plot overview:-

Captain Jack Harkness, Gwen Cooper and Ianto Jones (John Barrowman, Eve Myles and Gareth David-Lloyd) return for a new adventure in Torchwood – Children Of Earth, a five-part series for BBC One.

An ordinary day becomes one of terror, as every single child in the world stops. A message is sent to all the governments of Earth: "We are coming." But, as a trap closes around Captain Jack, the sins of the past are returning and long-forgotten events from 1965 threaten to reveal an awful truth.

Torchwood is forced underground as the government takes swift and brutal action. As members of the team are hunted down, Britain risks becoming a rogue state. Meanwhile, the mysterious and powerful 456 draws ever-closer.

Captain Jack, Gwen and Ianto are helpless as events escalate to such a degree that mankind faces the end of civilisation itself.

John Barrowman plays Captain Jack Harkness; Eve Myles plays Gwen Cooper; and Gareth David-Lloyd plays Ianto Jones. Torchwood also stars Kai Owen as Rhys Williams; Peter Capaldi (Doctor Who, Skins) as John Frobisher; Paul Copley (Coronation Street, The Bill) as Clem; Liz May Brice (Bad Girls, The Bill) as Johnson, Lucy Cohu (Forgiven) as Alice Carter; Nicholas Farrell (Casualty 1909) as Brian Green; Susan Brown (Brideshead Revisited) as Bridget Spears; and Cush Jumbo (Harley Street) as Lois Habiba.
rogartheranger
rogartheranger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by rogartheranger 24th June 2009, 06:06

Just received confirmation today that x3 Torchwood Radio Plays will also be debuting on BBC Radio 4 next week in the afternoon play slot. These episodes are designed to bridge the narrative gap between last year's radio-play Torchwood: Lost Souls and the upcoming Children of Earth series.

Wednesday 1st July: Torchwood: Asylum (14:15 - 15:00)
Thursday 2nd July: Torchwood: Golden Age (14:15 - 15:00)
Friday 3rd July: Torchwood: The Dead Line (14:15 - 15:00)

Laughing
rogartheranger
rogartheranger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 28th June 2009, 18:38

These episodes will be available to download for 7 days after broadcast from the Radio 4 website if you don't get to hear them on the Radio. Go to www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood for links.
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mykilus 7th July 2009, 08:03

That one hit a little close to home,

East Grinstead........ 2hrs fom Cardiff,
yeah right

Myke
Mykilus
Mykilus
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe 7th July 2009, 09:40

OH, what's occurring.

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe 7th July 2009, 20:43

The HIT list

Chris oh great and powerful keeper of the knowledge of all things DR who and Torchwood, i think i should know these but cannot place them (except Jack)

Colonel Michael Sanders (Retired)
Ellen Hunt
Captain Anderew Staines
Captain Jack Harkness (Active)

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 8th July 2009, 08:29

Well, I just watched the first episode of Torchwood and thought it was cracking good stuff. Looking forward to the rest.
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by rogartheranger 8th July 2009, 10:22

Well Im really enjoying this serial so far too. In answer to Kev's question, those other character's on the government death-list (Colonel Michael Sanders, Ellen Hunt, and Captain Andrew Staines) dont seem familiar to me either and so I would assume that these are parts written specifically for this drama.

Although on an odd trivia-note - there is an actor called Andrew Staines who has appeared in several early Dr Who stories (in small supporting roles) - The Enemy of the World, Terror of the Autons, Carnival of Monsters, and Planet of the Spiders. Is this a coincidence, or some RTD injoke perhaps?

Anyway role-on episode 3............Im especially looking forward to seeing what the 456 look like!!!!
rogartheranger
rogartheranger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe 8th July 2009, 19:41

Micheal Sanders played the Colonel in one episode as well i guess as they are all dead they names are red herrings

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe 10th July 2009, 10:00

the danger is for Episode 5 to have the doctor come bail them out.

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 10th July 2009, 18:03

Lucky me, I get to watch episodes 2-5 tonight Very Happy
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe 11th July 2009, 05:11

Episode 4.

Jack for crying out load, that was so obvious. they would do that

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by rogartheranger 11th July 2009, 05:13

Episode 4:- I particularly liked the scene regarding the school league tables!! Afterall what else could they be used for?!! Lol
rogartheranger
rogartheranger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 13th July 2009, 08:34

Well, I finally caught up with all 5 episodes and have to say it was a daring, thought-provoking piece of tv. Loved it. Doctor Who has a lot to live up to when it comes back and I don't really see a way forward for Torchwood, although I know John Barrowman has said he'd like to do more. Felt more like Quatermass to me which is a good thing, btw.
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe 13th July 2009, 21:01

yes it had a "last crusade" moment a the end.

but it could go on if they do a "Torchwood 1" series focusing on the battle of Canary Warf. thus giving Jack more air time and preparing for an event for Series 5 which would see Jack returning to a semi-rebuilt Torchwood (by Gwen) and saving the day, maybe he could turn up with the new doctor to really kick start things. or go back further and do a Victorian Torchwood, yea that would be cool......

Er just a thought.

CHildren of Earth was good. as were the Radio plays i have 3 torchwood Audio books.

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mykilus 14th July 2009, 04:08

just an idea,
they could bring Jack back another way,
What regenrated was only half the remains of Jack, If the other half was to regenerate, albeit slower, then you could have a Jack that did not go through the trauma of the end of the story, and so would be free to rebuild Torchwood, That would then leave a `Darker` Jack for the new Doctor to encounter out there...

Myke
Mykilus
Mykilus
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by rogartheranger 14th July 2009, 09:57

I really enjoyed the conclusion to Children of Earth which I thought was a very daring piece of drama, (congrats RTD). The dark-tone throughout that final episode made Battlestar Galactica look like the Sarah-Jane Adventures by comparison, and I was truely shocked by the price Jack had to pay for his 'victory'!

I have to say that overall I preferred the 5-day format of this series and (if they bring it back) would rather they stick to this instead of a 13-episode series, as it helped make the show feel more distinctive and stand on its own feet out from under the shadow of Doctor Who. Maybe if a 4th series is commissioned we could start afresh at one of the other Torchwood bases, (there's supposed to be an office in Scotland) or maybe Jack could arrive back on Earth in a near-future time-period (year 2020), to join forces with a new cast of Torchwood recruits? Also, although the Cardiff hub was destroyed there is still the Spacetime-Rift to contend with which is based near the remains of their former base. This rift is still likely to generate all sorts of alien-incusions and technology onto British soil and so maybe the Government will finance a new team to keep an eye on things?

Chris
rogartheranger
rogartheranger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe 16th July 2009, 20:07

RTD says he has season 4 ready to go and has 6 years of plotted work as well. he just needs to have the BBC say yes.

I think the 5 day event was a clever idea, they have done it with a couple of series but Torchwood worked well.

Question.
Torchwood 1 shut since the Battle of Canary Warf (London,England)
Torchwood 2 one bloke in Edinburgh called Archie (Edinburgh, Scotland)
Torchwood 3 Blown up by Bomb in Jacks stomach (Cardiff, Wales)
Torchwood 4 Er...Missing "but we'll find it one day" (Belfast or Dublin, Northern/Ireland, i guess)
Torchwood Deli shut in the 30's (semi active till 2009, sort of)
So.
Where are the Torchwood Mainframes that were access during the time the Team were in Torchwood 1's holdind facility. as everyone wants access to the records they are hidden i would guess in a secure place maybe a bomb proof section of Torchwood 3, in a sub level of the Vaults. who maintains them, who backs up the files etc...

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down