Hiss Con 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hiss Con 2

Post by rogartheranger on 23rd July 2010, 08:49

Come forth all ye faithful boardgamers to the premier event of the Summer! To mark the occasion of my 33rd birthday next week, I am organising the return of Chris-Con, now renamed: “Hiss-Con 2: The Holiday Special”. This prestige gaming day will be held at my house on Saturday 31st July (start time: 13:30) and will run throughout the afternoon and evening until around 22:30. Very Happy

This will be the ideal venue for us to dust off some of our larger-scale games that would usually take too long to play during our weekly gaming sessions, such as Descent, Attack!, and Arkham Horror, although Im sure there will also be plenty of opportunities to play old favourites like Kill Doctor Lucky, Ticket to Ride, Formula De, Carcassonne (and Wings of War if you’re able to come Mike?), plus some new additions to the range once I've had a chance to spend my birthday money!!!

Let me know if you’re interested in attending and hopefully I’ll shall see you soon!

rogartheranger
VETERAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hiss-Con 2

Post by Digger on 23rd July 2010, 17:24

I wish I could attend, but I will be up to my nuts in guts!

I wish everyone who attends a fun day!

D.

Digger
VETERAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hiss Con 2

Post by Renny on 23rd July 2010, 18:14

I better let you have Ticket To Ride back then. We may all attend as i'm sure Caroline would welcome the chance to play some TTR with someone harder to beat.

Currently GM-ing: Star Trek Adventures Playtest
Currently Reading: Nigel Kneale - Quatermass

http://rennyscorner.webs.com/

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name: Renny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe on 24th July 2010, 01:42

i am off to Disneyland Paris 24th to 30th, if i survive i may be able to drag me and a couple of kids over. i wont know till i get back.

have fun if i miss it.

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogartheranger on 26th July 2010, 09:51

Just bought the Battlestar Galactica boardgame yesterday which I am looking forward to trying out for the first time at HissCon!

Here's the Game Overview to whet the appetite ahead of next Saturday:-

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game provides a unique gaming experience. Unlike most games where players win individually, Battlestar Galactica is a team game, with the added complication that which players are on which teams is kept secret.
Each player is secretly assigned a team at the start of the game. The two teams are the humans and the Cylons, and each team has a specific objective. The human players are trying to find the map to Earth, while the Cylon players simply want to annihilate the human race. Players win or lose with the other members of their team...but must figure out who they can trust in order to lead their team to victory.

rogartheranger
VETERAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 28th July 2010, 00:44

What we (i.e. the Races) will do is come over late afternoon and set up in a corner and play some stuff so as not to get in your way too much. We'll bring some snacks and return Ticket To Ride and Russ' Ave Caesar. Hope that's ok with you.

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogartheranger on 28th July 2010, 08:02

Great, I'll look forward to seeing you on Saturday afternoon. And I'll certainly be up for a game of Ticket to Ride and Ave Caesar too !!!

rogartheranger
VETERAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 29th July 2010, 19:51

Chris, what are you doing about food and stuff. Are you planning to order in?

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogartheranger on 30th July 2010, 01:00

Yes I was planning to order in from Dominos around 6pm, although there will also be snacks and birthday cake available throughout the afternoon too.

rogartheranger
VETERAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogartheranger on 3rd August 2010, 04:52

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who attended Hisscon 2 and helped make this event into a very enjoyable occasion. Special thanks to Russ and Heidi for all the food they brought along and to everyone who bought me presents too (mmm....chocolate)!!! By the sounds of things I think everyone managed to win at least 1 game over the course of the day and so were all able to emerge at the end with honours even!

The main game that was played over the course of the afternoon was an adventure of Descent which I had set-out in the kitchen (otherwise known as gaming-room 1) which was contested between myself (as the evil Overlord), Russ and Heidi, (the heroic adventurers). This was very closely fought right until the end with the balance of power shifting constantly between the forces of good and evil. I must congratulate my opponents however for the good use of their Familiars to limit my opportunities to spawn new creatures – forcing me to rely evermore on cunning traps and curses to keep them on their toes.

My personal highlights of the game were when Russ and Heidi jubilantly arrived at Narthak’s lair (following an epic battle) only to find that they couldn’t get in because the door had been rune-locked and they didn’t have the key (oh how I laughed). This was then followed shortly after by the novel use of their Fatigue points to acquire the red-rune key without fighting any of the creatures who guarded it! (the cunning swines).

During the final battle with ‘Narthak the Giant’, I had both players on the ropes after killing their characters and forcing them to respawn back in the city (losing valuable conquest tokens in the process). This subsequently forced them to gamble on the contents of a treasure chest to acquire a magical weapon powerful enough to penetrate Narthaks armour! Fortunately I had a handy trap on standby which I used to transform Heidi with the curse of the Monkey God - into (yes you guessed it) - a monkey!!! (he he). Fortunately for the forces of Good, Russ's character was able to acquire a magical bow which he used to good effect to vanquish Narthak and emerge victorious! (phew). I’m looking forward to setting up another quest soon so that Narthak’s poor, defenceless, (enraged) brothers Munkar and Nakir can try and avenge his death (bwah-ha-ha)!!

Whilst Descent was in progress , the Race family were busy in 'gaming room 2' (my lounge) playing ‘Ticket to Ride’ and ‘Formula De’. By the sounds of the cheers I believe that Maddie will be enjoying some of the bragging rights there, and Im hoping we’ll see a posting from her on the forum soon!!! Following this, everyone then joined in for a large group game of Jamaica (which was won by Heidi) which was one of my highlights of the day and very amusing for all participants! Afterwards, Mike, Russ and Heidi then got stuck into a couple of games of Ave Ceasar, (whilst I popped out to feed the cat and stock up on tea bags), before we split off into two groups with myself and Mike playing Mag-Blast, (with 1 win apiece), whilst Heidi and Russ attempted to monopolise the rail networks of North America in a further game of Ticket to Ride, (won by Russ).

Following the success of this day and my recent acquisitions of ‘Battlestar Galactica’, ‘Mystery Express’ and ‘A Touch of Evil’ I think I will have to arrange a further board-gaming event sometime soon with the return of “Hiss-Con 3: Revenge of the Hiss!” Watch this space..... Very Happy

rogartheranger
VETERAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger on 3rd August 2010, 04:58

Great write up, hopefully I will be able to attend Hisscon 3!

Digger
VETERAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny on 3rd August 2010, 08:37

Yes Chris, thank you again for hosting Hiss Con. We had a lot of fun playing games with each other and particularly enjoyed Jamaica. Good show.

Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mykilus on 3rd August 2010, 09:05

Great write up Chriss, But with one tiny error.......
I belive i `removed you from my sky` (100 quatlu`s for the person who can identify where that quote came from and who said it) in both games....... Also the stunning boarding action by my troops that captured your carrier and used it to deliver the kill shot to your flagship.

Myke

Mykilus
VETERAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogartheranger on 3rd August 2010, 12:30

Mykilus wrote:Great write up Chriss, But with one tiny error.......
I belive i `removed you from my sky` (100 quatlu`s for the person who can identify where that quote came from and who said it) in both games....... Also the stunning boarding action by my troops that captured your carrier and used it to deliver the kill shot to your flagship.

Myke

In your dreams Mike!! Sleep If you will recall I beat you in the opening game. After initially having to wait a couple of rounds to finally pick-up some much needed fire-power cards - I then quickly made up for lost time by using my two dreadnoughts to destroy your flanking ships which left you wide open for me to quickly finish off your flag-ship! In the second game you then proceeded to take your revenge and beat me soundly by taking out the protective layer that I had positioned in the front of my flag-ship, and then when I tried to move my carrier round to fill the gap - you delivered a critical hit and captured it. I then had to suffer the indignity of watching the pride of my fleet deliver the coup de grace by blowing-up my flagship (the traitorous swines) to level the match with 1 win each.

rogartheranger
VETERAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mykilus on 4th August 2010, 09:00

Oh well worth a try..........
Did enjoy the game though

Myke

Mykilus
VETERAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe on 7th August 2010, 22:00

sorry i missed the "Event" sound like it was good. we was still recovering from spending time with a bloke in a rat suit

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: