Renny's Game Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In praise of D....

4 posters

Go down

In praise of D.... Empty In praise of D....

Post by Renny 30th June 2010, 21:03

I've been thinking a lot about my future within gaming lately for a number of reasons. Mainly as there doesn't seem to be any, or at least any which is making me get excited about the hobby again.

While pondering this, I came to realise that Digger was the first GM out of our group I played a game with (back in around 1990, I think). I then realised that i'm still playing in a game run by Digger which I have been involved with on and off for more than 12 years, namely his Llanos Celyn campaign.

Thinking back on it, i've realised what a great GM Digger is. He has many of the qualities of a GM which I strived, and mainly failed, to embody. He's always in control of his game (I am rarely). He knows exactly what the bigger picture is, regardless of the curve balls thrown at him by the players. He is, in fact, happy to dodge the curve balls and relishes incorporating them into the narrative (I do sometimes). He is mainly consistent in his approach to the rules and rarely needs to refer to books or notes ( I am totally reliant on having books and crib sheets). He rarely uses miniatures, and his games don't seem to suffer for that. He is generous in his rewards for the players. His plots are interesting and immersive, and above all this he manages to make the whole process look absolutely effortless ( I certainly do not). He may very well spend three hours a night plotting this stuff out on the quiet but if he does, he hides it well. For myself, the need to overplan everything is why I never get anything done.

We each have strengths as GMs but one we don't seem to possess, judging by the state of games currently, is the ability to sustain a long running game which people still want to play in. In this area, D seems to stand alone. It's always a pleasure to play in his game, and frankly, as long as i'm welcome, i'll keep playing, regardless of whether or not I ever run or play in another game myself.

I know this post reads like a suck up but I wanted Digger to know that I appreciate and value what he does. And that's not to mention his always excellent hospitality. Feel free to agree or disagree as you see fit.
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name: Renny

Back to top Go down

In praise of D.... Empty Re: In praise of D....

Post by rogartheranger 1st July 2010, 05:47

Here, Here, I would like to second your motion. Digger was the first person to introduce me to roleplaying games (initially with AD&D, and later with games like Merc2000, Vampire the Masquerade, and Cthulhu) way back in 1991 (at the age of 13-14). Buzzing with excitement from my first game, my mate Matthew and me rushed back to school to rustle-up some likeminded friends who we invited back to form a regular weekly group playing D's epic Llanos Celyn AD&D campaign. From those initial games I was then subsequently introduced to the likes of Brooksy, Steve, Russ, Mike, Andy Chapman, and Ben, most of whom I still game with to this day, and through them have had the pleasure of expanding my roleplaying experience into other games and systems. And yes funnily enough here we are nearly 20 years on still playing D's Llanos Celyn AD&D campaign (lol), which as always boasts a varied and detailed world, clever plot twists, cunning opponents and a breath-taking scale to rival the very best fantasy epics. So hats off to you Digger for running one of the very best RPGs going, and Im very much looking forward to playing more of the same in the years to come. Very Happy
rogartheranger
rogartheranger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger 1st July 2010, 18:50

As Sheesh!!! Embarassed

You'll all make me cry. Thanks guy's it is really appreciated. As long as you want to play, I will keep running the game. I have an old picture of when I first started running stuff (I had more hair) with the illustrious Graham Todd, AKA 'The Jumping Slug'.

Which reminds me of the not to be forgotten NPC's that you have come to love and hate; to name but a few:

Baron Vo'Mandor
Brother Slinkus
Brother Jaundice
Orisair Thugg

And who could forget from the very early days, Zantor Camelstrangler - Soon to return as well as some other old favourites!

See you all at the BBQ on Saturday,

Warmest Regards!

P.S. All praisee's will get extra bonus XP's during the next game - fucking grovelling at it's best!! Very Happy
Digger
Digger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 1st July 2010, 21:24

Just telling it like it is Digger Very Happy
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name: Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinrolfe 3rd July 2010, 06:47

I do not have the history you guys do with Digger, but i do have this.

By chance i signed up for a Cthulhu game at Gen Con at Camber sands in the very early 90's it was a game set in 1851 and had the Koh i noor diamond and some Egyptian mummy's the game was a lot of fun. little did i know 10 years later i would be sitting opposite him at the Christmas Curry. the chances of meeting him in Camber Sands whilst living in Merthyr Tydfil in South Wales, then moving to the same town as him 10 years later...who knew!!!

Its such a shame it was 10 not 1 year between meetings. my loss, you guys gain

All praise to the Digmister

kevinrolfe
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum