Renny's Game Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Tyranid Codex - Thoughts

2 posters

Go down

New Tyranid Codex - Thoughts Empty New Tyranid Codex - Thoughts

Post by Great Teufel 14th March 2010, 07:20

I have been looking through the new Tyranid codex and here are some of the changes that I have discovered. Though I have mainly been focusing on how it effects my army.

Warriors: These used to be HQ or elite. Now they are troops, which means that they are going to take up valuable Troop slots. Now the bad news (for you) WS, BS, W, A & Sv have all increased by one and they still cost roughly the same points! And that doesn't include the option to create a 'prime' which is even worse. Also they can operate in broods of up to 9. That is really going to effect how I use them.

Hormagaunts: These guys have changed. WS is down one, but I & Ld is up one. They have also lost many of the special abilities; now they basically run a bit better and assault on the same turn that they ran. But they are 4 points cheaper!

Termagants: Basically Ld is one better and they are cheaper. However they also now have some interesting special weapon options... They are also cheaper. They no longer have the without number option, but can now move through cover. And they're favoured weapon now doesn't seem to be worth shit.

Genestealers: Statline is the same, but now they automatically get infiltrate and move through cover, but are 4 points more expensive than they were.

Carnifex: BS is now one better and A is now two better! Ld is now down to 7, but they also get +2 to I when they assault.

Rippers: BS and A are up by one, but Ld is down.

Weapons
Before weapons S was dependent on the host organism. That has now changed and all weapons have a flat S.

Death Spitter: Rng is now only 18" but it is now assault 3! Holy shit! I have 3 warriors armed with this weapon, that's 9 attacks. The good news for you is that it is now not a burst effect weapon, which means my carnifex gun-bunny is not how I originally designed him to be...

Devourer: Now assault 3. Which means my Devourergants have gained one to A. That will be 30 to hit rolls when they are up to strength, but no re-rolling wounds.

Fleshborer: Now only assault 1 and no longer re-rolls failed wounds, what a jip.

Venom Cannon: Now only assault 1 and less effective against vehicles, but it is now a blast weapon.

Bonesword: This has changed radically from the old edition, but bascially no armour saves allowed.

Crushing Claws: Now only get D3 extra attacks not D6 but these are added to the A of the creature.

Lash Whip: Has also changed a lot.

Scything Talons: Used to give you an extra attack. Now they only allow you to re-roll any 1's on your to-hit roll.

Biomorphs

Adrenal Glands: Now count as giving Furious Charge rather than increasing a troop's stats

Toxin Sacs: No longer add to strength, instead they give Poisoned 4+.
Great Teufel
Great Teufel
SEASONED

Back to top Go down

New Tyranid Codex - Thoughts Empty Re: New Tyranid Codex - Thoughts

Post by scarab 17th March 2010, 19:11

well we shall see how they fair against the emperors finest plus we have the new Blood Angels Codex comming out in April
scarab
scarab
NOVICE

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Teufel 18th March 2010, 20:04

It should be a good testbed for the new tyranid codex. Even a 1200pts game will be the largest we have played so far and if I can get some new figures painted by Sunday it will be 1400pts - and hopefully a lot of carnage to boot.
Great Teufel
Great Teufel
SEASONED

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Teufel 22nd March 2010, 19:43

Well the game we played on Sunday (Bloody Angels vs Nids) was a lot closer than previous games tended to be. I don't know how much of this is down to the new Tyranid codex and how much was down to the fact that we were playing with a lot more points which I think balanced things, but it was a much closer battle.

High Points:
Wiping out the 5 terminators that drop podded into battle.
Assault Marines vs Carnifex.

Low Points
The rediculous toughness of the death company that took many 'nid scalps before succumbing (eventually) to my warriors.
Great Teufel
Great Teufel
SEASONED

Back to top Go down

Post by scarab 23rd March 2010, 06:58

isn't it strange that your high points are my low points , and your low points are my high points

definatly enjoyed the game and a rematch at 1500 points is on the cards

cinematic quote of the game
Blood angels commander " fire everything at that Hive Tyrant"
everything fires (and i mean everything)
Dust settles
Hive tyrant still there with no wounds
affraid
scarab
scarab
NOVICE

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Teufel 23rd March 2010, 21:19

scarab wrote:Dust settles
Hive tyrant still there with no wounds
affraid